According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the demand for security officers in Detroit, MI and other parts of the state is well above average. Here are government resources regarding the requirements in the state.
An applicant for a private security guard agency license must meet the following requirements:
- Be not less than 25 years old.
- Have a high school education or its equivalent.
- Have not been convicted of a felony.
- In the last five years, have not had a misdemeanor conviction of any of the following:
1. dishonesty or fraud
2. unauthorized divulging or selling of information or evidence.
3. impersonation of a law enforcement officer or employee of the US, Michigan, or a political subdivision of Michigan.
4. illegally using, carrying, or possessing a dangerous weapon.
5. two or more alcohol related offenses.
6. controlled substances under the public health code 1978 PA 368
- Have not been dishonorably discharged from the US military.
- Has not been judged to be insane by a court, unless restored to sanity by a court order.
- Does not have any outstanding warrants for his/her arrest.
- Has a Michigan office location and a resident manager.
- Has posted a $25,000 surety bond with the Department or furnishes an insurance policy in the amount of $25,000 for property damages, $100,000 for the injury or death of one person, and $200,000 for injuries to or deaths of more than one person.
In addition to the above requirements, one of the following Experience Requirements must be met:
Was engaged in the private security guard or agency business on his or her own account in another state for a period of at least 3 years.
Was engaged in the private security guard or agency business for a period of at least 4 years as an employee of the holder of a certificate of authority to conduct a private security guard or agency business and has experience reasonably equivalent to at least 4 years of full-time guard work in a supervisory capacity with rank above that of patrolman.
Was employed in law enforcement as a certified police officer on a full-time basis for at least 4 years for a city, county, or state government or for the United States government.
Was engaged in the private security guard or agency business as an employee or on his or her own account or as a security administrator in private business for at least 2 years on a full-time basis, and is a graduate with a baccalaureate degree or its equivalent in the field of police administration or industrial security from an accredited college or university.
Served in the armed forces; while serving in the armed forces, acted as a military police officer or in an equivalent job classification for at least 2 years; was separated from that service, and provides a form DD214, DD215, or any other form satisfactory to the department that demonstrates he or she was separated from that service, with an honorable character of service or under honorable conditions (general) character of service; and has, and provides with his or her application an affidavit signed by a commanding officer, supervisor, or military superior with direct knowledge of the applicant’s service that he or she has, entry-level experience in or basic knowledge of each of the following:
(A) Enforcing rules, regulations, and guidelines.
(B) Providing security and physical protection.
(C) Area and site security operations.
(D) Overseeing prisoners and correctional facilities.
(E) Reconnaissance and surveillance.